Smoked Salmon & Roasted Pepper Wrap
* 1 1/2 tbsp pesto
* 1 1/2 tbsp mayo
* 3 spinach & garlic wraps
* 9 oz smoked salmon
* 8 oz roasted red & yellow peppers, drained & pat-dried
* spring mix
* fresh ground pepper
01. Mix mayo & pesto; add freshly ground pepper to taste.
02. Spread mayo pesto on wrap.
03. Layer smoked salmon, onions, roasted peppers & spring mix.
04. Tightly roll & fold wrap; fasten with toothpicks.
Tomato & Feta Salad
* 1/2 lb campari tomatoes, quartered
* 1 sweet onion, sliced
* 3 oz feta cheese
* olive oil
* salt & pepper
01. Mix tomatoes, feta cheese, onions.
02. Add drizzle of olive oil, to lightly coat.
03. Add salt & pepper to taste.
$ 1.35, Spinach Wrap (@ 2.69 for 6 wraps)
$ 8.03, Smoked Salmon (@ 14.27 for 1 lb)
$ 2.79, Roasted Peppers
$ 0.25, Mayo
$ 0.50, Pesto (@ 3.89 for 10 oz)
$ 0.96, Spring Mix (@ 3.87 for 1 lb)
$ 1.06, Tomatoes (@ 4.24 for 2 lbs)
$ 1.00, Onions
$ 0.74, Feta Cheese (@ 5.96 for 24 oz)
Total: $ 16.68
Verdict & Lesson's Learned:
:) Both boys said it was ok. They enjoyed the flavor experience.
:| Both boys sheepishly noticed that it wasn't really cooking -- more like throw together ;)
:( The feta cheese already is seasoned with salt, so pre-mixing the tomato and feta resulted in a lot of tomato juice extracted. Best to bring in separate containers.
:( Similarly, the spring mix wilted over time when I pre-wrapped the sandwiches prior to work. The lettuce lost its crunch and took away from my fresh wrap experience.
:( A bust on my budgeting, but there is probably ways to
If I had it my way, I would not try to make this as a packed lunch again. I have to find a way to tweak how this can be brought in, or save it was a luncheon item at my house. The wraps would have tasted exponentially better if rolled on the spot and eaten immediately. Similarly with the salad, it was not a good idea to pre-toss the tomato feta salad without dressing, because the feta cheese had enough salt to make it a very watery experience -- making the olive oil dressing almost unnecessary.