Friday, August 6, 2010

Good Luck

I'm on a business trip and had the biggest crafting withdrawal symptom. Since CHA I haven't had touched a paper cutter, glue or gotten my fingers inked up. The addiction to craft was quickly creating an annoying itch. And CHA was almost like a terrible tease -- all the great people, all the great products, so many materials and tools to swoon over, but very limited time to play with anything.

So yesterday, I was invited over to Nicole's place and a newly acquired friend, Sandra, came along. Last time the three of us met, we told her so much about paper crafting, that she was intrigued enough to express a polite interest but had a healthy dose of skepticism if she would get into it as a hobby. If I ever get a link to the first card that she made, I will have to post a re-direct to her and you (loyal readership) need to run over there and cheer her on.


Her card was AWESOME! It was a gorgeous wedding card - one where I would consider running out to find the next available bachelor so that I'd get that card as a gift ;) Just kidding...but the card was amazing. The design elements were just wonderful, her composition and color well thought out, and just sheer elegant. The best part -- she really loved paper crafting and we heard reluctant admittance that she could see herself considering a new hobby. (Score!) Heehee...Nicole & I infected her with the paper crafting bug!

While Sandra made her card, I was digging through Nicole's generous stash to create a quick card for a co-worker that is leaving the current project. His delegation is over and I thought I'd send him and his family off with a fun, fun card. I used as inspiration
 next Sweet Stop Sketch Challenge:

Forgive the pictures, but they were taken in different lighting at a ad-hoc setup in my hotel room.
Viel Glueck
Stamps: Snag 'em Stamps - Plane (imaginisce), Itty Bitty Backgrounds (Stamping Up!), Good Neighbors (Stamping Up!), Süße Sprüche (Stamping Up!)
Paper: Passports - Canada (reminisce), Basic Card Stock - Kraft (Stamping Up!), Basic Card Stock - Chocolate Chip (Stamping Up!)

Ink: VersaMark - Watermark (Tsukineko), Chocolate Chip (Stamping Up!)
Embellishments: Twill Tape (Stamping Up!), Tag Punch (EK Success), 1/2" Circle Punch (EK Success), 3/8" Eyelets - Metallic (Making Memories), 1/2" Corner Rounder Punch (EK Success), Top Note Big Die (Stamping Up!)


The scalloped border and the text circle tend to be girlier elements; therefore these sketch elements were substituted by small circles and a tag. The twill ribbon was a nice neutral/manly element, but needed some dots and brown ink to tone down the stark contrast. In addition, to give the card a little umph, the circles are raised at different heights. Perhaps this picture shows it better:

Viel Glueck
My co-worker was really surprised by this little random RAK and promptly displayed it on his desk. I'll interpret that as a win!

By the way, many of these elements are credited to brainstoming with Nicole. I can understand why crops with a table full of creative ladies are so much fun. It gets the creative juices flowing! Not to mention, I really have to give her a big shout-out here for preparing her wonderful home by laying out all the tools and papers, putting up samples as aids to explain to Sandra, and offering up her entire stash for us to use! Absolutely generous. Not only did I satisfy my crafting urges, but I really enjoyed a quality evening of great conversation & fun with Nicole & Sandra.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh I am sure your co-worker will love it, great card! Thanks for playing at the Sweet Stop this week.

Nicole said...

Hi Ren-Yi, tolle Karte, aber das sagte ich Dir bereits gestern, bei unserem tollen Crop!
Ich freue mich schon auf Deine nächsten Projekt!
XX,
Nicole

Related Posts with Thumbnails