Thursday, March 22, 2012

[DYSU] Challenge #64 - Plaid

Hello everyone! I'm two days away from Saturday's baby shower for my crafty friend Elke & her husband. I am so looking forward to this event...it's based on zoo animal theme and I will post a lot of the projects that I have been creating. Yes - lots of creation, but little time to blog...I will have to catch up here once things simmer down!

While I do that, I have a new challenge for you with us at DYSU. Whip up projects using Plaid. Bring on your Scottish heritage - I bet you have some pattern paper or maybe stamps to put a plaid pattern together!



My card features one of our sponsors today and I decided to make my own Plaid pattern paper...

Owl Always Love You
Stamps: (Love Heart Owl) Pink Gem Designs; (Pic-nic Patterns) Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper: (Paper Basics Card Stock - Fresh Linen, Vintage Cream) Papertrey Ink; (Basic Card Stock - Cream) Recollections
Ink: (Jenni Bowlin No. 11 - Brown Sugar, No.1 - Chewing Gum; Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, Sugar Spun) Ranger;
Embellishments: (Soft-core Color Pencils) Prismacolor; (Point 88) Stabilo


If anyone would like to see a step-by-step tutorial I can recommend this little writeup that Claire made. Here is a picture of all the tools required to making this cute little brown/pink plaid. (Feeling Burberry, anyone?)

Plaid

Here is a picture of the finished plaid pattern paper. Making plaid is great, because I end up with some excess which I can use later on another project...

Plaid

After this I decided to sponge the vintage cream card stock with Sugar Spun. It needed a little bit of pink; it still look a little bright, so I waited for it to dry and then sponged on a Antique Linen. A third layer of Vintage Photo for the edges. I think next time I won't sponge up so much Vintage Photo and keep it only on the tiniest of edges.

I also took a few liberties to spruce up this little owl. I know I wanted more textures on the digi, so I added some feathers onto his wings and hearts onto the heart paper.


Owl Always Love You

So that's all I have for you today; go check out the amazing creations by the talented DT. And I look forward to seeing your creations!

Our sponsors this week:

Winner's Choice of 3 Digital Images

Winner's Choice of 4 Digital Images

A "Toodle Club Membership" and a Toodle Birthday Calendar

8 comments:

Denise said...

Wow - that handmade Plaid paper is stunning - such patience. Love this card.
Hugs
Denise xx

WencheP said...

WOW - this is so cool! Love the owl.

Hugs,
Wenche

Marcy said...

What a great job, Ren-Yi! Love how you colored up that owl...wonderful!

Marlena M. said...

Ren-Yi, this is SO CUTE! I am even more impressed reading that you created your own plaid. Awesome job.

Pauline said...

Oh I thought I had left you a comment here, I get confused with PCP lol! This is fabulous! I love the extra details you added to his wings, and the plaid is gorgeous. The inks are such lovely warm colours. I'm partial to a bit of paid builder LOL! Sorry, I had to say it!

Unknown said...

Love that background

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful wonderful card! I must try your plaid technique soon. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Joan

Mary Jo said...

WOW! I'm so impressed with your plaid paper-it's gorgeous! What a cute card and the details you addedt o the owl are perfect!

Related Posts with Thumbnails