Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dress up those greens!

The other day I had set aside some chicken from dinner (before I even plated it) into a small tupperware. When the husband saw it as we were clearing dishes, he exclaimed that he didn't know there was more chicken. I asked him if he was still hungry and he said no... but it was good.

As a means of preventing the dear husband from eating too much (and getting the infamous midlife belly), now I consciously set aside a portion if I make too much. I'm going to start incorporating some simple salads before each meal since I've read that acidity helps control food portioning as well.

So I figured I'd share some of my favorite vinaigrette based dressings. I'm going to apologize for the lack of measurements - I make most of these to taste.

Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Apple Cider
Olive Oil
Apple Cider Vinegar
Cloves

Bring to boil some apple cider (apple juice works as well) and cloves. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and mix with vinegar. Mix the olive oil in.

Citrus Vinaigrette
Olive Oil
Citrus juices (I've used grapefruit, lemons, limes, orange - really whatever I have on hand)
Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix the vinegar with the citrus juices well - add olive oil. Salt and pepper as needed

Honey Garlic Dressing
Olive oil
Apple Cider Vinegar
Honey
Garlic, minced

Take the garlic and add some salt. "Smoosh" to create a paste. Mix garlic paste, honey and vinegar together. Add oil in.

Do you have any favorite dressing recipes? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails