Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Glad You're in my Corner

I had to get my weekly paper crafting fix in by playing along with the sixth Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge installment! I was literally driving home tonight, when I had a lightbulb moment for this sketch:


Actually, my light bulb moment was when I literally became blind-struck by the setting sun when driving home. After getting out of the car, I made a mad dash to my craft room and gingerly knocked on the door. For those that do not know, a friend is currently a house guest of mine. Since I converted the second bedroom into a guest room, crafting at whim becomes a tad more trickier. He is so easy-going though, that most of time he does not mind. Keep reading to hear the hilarious dialogue to this card...

Glad You're In My Corner Card
Stamps: Rescue Remedies Additions (Waltzingmouse Stamps)
Paper: Basic Card Stock - White (Recollections), Scrap Pack - Yellow (Recollections)
Ink: Perfect Match Pigment Ink - Orange Zest (Papertrey Ink), Perfect Match Pigment Ink - Terracotta Tile (Papertrey Ink), Momento - Summer Sky (Tsukineko)
Embellishments: Essential Colors Glitter Set - Fire Opal (Martha Stewart), 1" Corner Rounder Punch (EK Success), Softcore Colored Pencils - PC1002 Yellowed Orange (Prismacolor), Nestabilities - Standard Small Circles

So, I started with the background following whatever I remembered from reading Belinda's tutorial. Note to self: Go look something up and re-read the steps. Instead of "dabbing my sky" with little ink, I kinda went nuts and swished, dabbed, rubbed, and before you know it, I had a big blob of blue mess. I was convinced that if you squint, you can make out angry skies. But just to make sure, I had to ask my buddy (who happened to be also chilling in the room watching a movie).

Ren-Yi: "Heeeey, Os? What is this?" ::pointing to my sky background::
Os: "Water?"
Ren-Yi: "Um...no, guess again"
Os: "Ocean?"
Ren-Yi: "NO"
Os: "Blue Stuff"
Ren-Yi: *sigh* "It's a sky!"
Os: "Oh"


Whatever, Boys (!) - moving on. So, I was happily cutting out parts that would become the sun, and put laid everything out before busting out the adhesive, when I hear something in the background:

Os: "Why are you putting a gear in the sky?"
Ren-Yi: "What?"
Os: "You know a gear, like cogs & gear."
Ren-Yi: "That is suppose to be a sun..."
Os: "Oh. But suns don't have beams that become fatter; that looks like a yellow gear. If you are going for a sun, suns usually have beams that become thinner. Like triangles with the tip facing away from the sun."
Ren-Yi: "No triangles"
Os: "Ok, ok, I don't mean triangles, but squiggly triangles."
Ren-Yi: "No squiggly triangles"
Os: "But a sun beams and radiates heat. It has flares. Flares, sunspots and all...it needs squigglies."
Ren-Yi: "NO squigglies."


Fine fine, after attaching the sun, shading it in with some color pencil to give it depth, and stamping my sentiment, it really did not look done. So, just in honor of Os, the squigglies made it in. I also go to play with glitter for the first time. Thankfully, I had my trusty Sakura Quick Glue Pen. Any other adhesive would have probably created a big, fat, glittery mess.

What adhesive do you use for your glitter?

8 comments:

Joyce across the Pond said...

Oh what a time you've had getting this together....the moral is never to ask a man what anything is....they haven't a clue, do they...however you've come up with a totally unique creation - that yellow really zings like the low sun...I remember once in Kamloops, Canada, in the evening sun we were going uphill and had to stop as we could not see a thing and were afraid of crashing into another vehicle. A really cute card. Can you e-mail me privately please at Joyce@Shikishi.co.uk I can't find an e-mail address for you. Thanks.

Kelly S. said...

Oh I saw a perky sun in a sky right away, no mistaking it here! So creative...Love it!

Nicole said...

Hi Ren-Yi!
Eine schöne Karte hast Du da gemacht! Lass die Sonne in Dein Herz!
Liebe Grüße und bis nächste Woche!
Übrigens kannst Du Glitter auch auf beidseitig klebende Folie streuen. Die gibt es bei Stampin`Up! und ist eigentlich für die Big Shot gedacht. Du kannst Dir ein beliebiges Motiv ausschneiden und mit Glitter bestreuen!
Liebe Grüße,
Nicole

Julia Aston said...

Love your clever design Ren-Yi! Thanks for playing with the WMS sketch!

Anonymous said...

I have to support poor Oswin. That comment could have from from me as well. (Probably why nobody counts me as an authority on aesthetics)
-Christoph

Heidi said...

What a fun card! I like your sky and the sun just as they are!

Ann said...

Ha ha - great post! Family are SO encouraging aren't they ;o) Oh, and I think your sky is a perfect sky!

Anonymous said...

This card definitely has a cute story to it! I could tell it was a sun right away. It's a very subby, fun card!

Related Posts with Thumbnails