Friday, September 7, 2012

[Catered Crop] In the Pink Quickfire

Catered Crop

Hello there! Yep another blog post this week. You're in for a treat, because you'll get to see some gorgeous designs by some ladies who are part of a challenge group called Catered Crop led by sweet & dear Linda McClain. I originally stumbled across this site through Rebecca, my DYSU teamie, who is also a DT member of Catered Crop. So I thought, why not play along?

Well the darndest thing happened, and my North Shore card got a nod of approval when I played along in the last "No Stress Distress Recipe Swap." Evidently Linda calls us the distressing queens? ::cue ABBA's "Dancing Queen" song::..."Distressing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen..."

Ok, you're not here to hear my oh-so-punny lyrics, so let's get down to business: I am joining Maya and Tracey and the rest of the Catered Crop DT as a Top Chef in this Quickfire: In the Pink. Yep, the name pretty much says it. Pink, pink, pink....and I had to cheat. One can always claim that Kraft is neutral right? It really doesn't...count. Ahem. (Then again those that know me, know I have a hard time following a challenge to a tee...)

Sweet Birthday Wishes

So this card is actually a birthday card for my very special mum. And it just happened that I was wrapping her gift with this delicious pink & kraft paper. After that it was impossible to get this paper out of my head. So instead of fighting it, I decided to take the scraps and make something out of it. As you can see it has a little surprise element - a hidden tag. My mum received her card looking like this...

Sweet Birthday Wishes
Stamps: (Compact Sentiments) Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper: (Paper Basics Card Stock - Kraft, Select Vellum) Papertrey Ink; (Kraft & Pink wrapping paper) Paperchase
Ink: (Versamark) Tsukinkeo
Embellishments: (Stamp 'n Stuff - White Opaque Buttons) Stampendous!; (Nestabilities - Big Scalloped Circles Large) Spellbinders; (Mat Stack 3 Die) Papertrey Ink; (Creative Candy Pretty Pearls - Pink) Amuse; (Lost & Found 2 Blush - "Beautiful Girl" Brad, "Better" Layered Chipboard Strickers) My Mind's Eye; (Cork) Recollections


To think of it, if I didn't tell her you can pull the top out, I think she would have just admired it and add it to her other cards on the mantle piece. Maybe I should have made it more obvious...

Anyways, I had this roll of yummy wrapping paper for a while. Borders use to carry lots of cute stationary as well as very gorgeous wrapping paper from Paperchase. So whenever something went on sale, I had to pick it up. This was one of those finds. 

The focal point is actually made out of a little cork & wrapping paper flower that I cut out using the Big Scalloped Circles. The flower is adhered with some foam dimensionals so that the sentiment can slide in and out. This gorgeous pink chipboard happened to fit perfectly over the Mat Stack 3 die, making this embellishment not just a pretty little thing to admire, but also to help grab / pull handle for the tag. 

In hindsight, I could have embellished that pink strip on the vellum pocket with some Versamark and some Doily patterns, but by the time I thought about that, I already had glued everything down. I'm sure it happens to the best of us... but I'm kicking myself for it. The vellum pocket was measured using the Mat Stack 3 Die plus a little for room & adhering. I just use a simple liquid glue (which is why you can see the glue strips). Any one have advice how to glue down vellum without it peeking through?

Sweet Birthday Wishes

I also thought a little bit of a pearl trim could help anchor the vellum pocket a little. This is what it looks like with all the components of the gift and card out.

Sweet Birthday Wishes

Mum liked it lots, but I had to make sure to not schedule this post too early, since she secretly stalks my blog. I know, because she will ask if this or that card that she has seen "featured" on this blog is still available. What can I say - I've become her personal Hallmark ;) 

Maybe later this week I will pull some pictures from our birthday spent with Mum...just fair warning, we are a family that loves to eat. Don't be surprise if there are more food pictures than people pictures ;)

I shouldn't keep you anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing what the girls made for this Catered Crop's Recipe Swap and hope that you can find some inspiration in making something pink. I hope you consider joining us. This is a fun group and maybe in future you'll find a way to use your wrapping paper scraps? If so, I would love to see.

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Pauline said...

This is just beautiful Ren-Yi, I'm sure your mum was tickled pink to receive this! (See what I did there?!) I love the pull out tag and the cork patterned flower, a love bit of texture.

Desire Fourie said...

Ren-Yi this is so beautifully designed and the colours and embellishments work so well together. Wishing you a fab Tuesday.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Related Posts with Thumbnails